Happy May and the start of Bike Month. While we hope that you regularly ride around Los Angeles on your bike, this month can be a great time for anyone to spend more time on two wheels. Throughout the month you will find many special events and programs geared toward getting more people on bikes. Whether you’re an experienced bicyclist, an occasional rider, or someone interested in giving biking a try for the first time, May is your month!
LADOT is rolling out a busy month of bike-friendly events, starting this week with Bike to School Day. Here are some highlights:
- Wednesday, May 8th – Bike to School Day on Avalon
- Tuesday May 14th & Wednesday May 15th – Safe Routes to School: Little Street Pop-Up
- Thursday May 16th – Bike to Work Day #BTWD
- Free Rides on DASH and Metro if you ride your bike
- LADOT Pit Stop at 4th St & New Hampshire Ave (water, snacks, and info on our projects on 4th Street)
- Lots more citywide pit stops – find them on Metro’s Bike Month Map
Looking for resources on how to get started with biking in Los Angeles? Check out these sites packed with helpful information that you may need!
- Metro Bicycle Riding Guide, including where to park your bike, how to take bikes on transit, and more.
- Tips for Biking to Work (Bicycling.com)
- Bike Maps:
Having a secure place to park your bike when you reach your destination is a necessity. LADOT’s Bike Parking Program has installed thousands of public use bike racks across Los Angeles, and continues to add more each month. Did you know that you can suggest new bike rack locations? Check out this form and let us know of a destination that you visit that could use a new secure place to park.
Bike Share & Dockless Mobility
Biking around LA doesn’t mean you have to own your own bike. Metro Bike Share is a great way to get around many neighborhoods in the city. Check out their online Bike Month resource guide here and learn about their 30-day pass for May 2019 for $1. Likewise, dockless mobility has also made its way onto the scene. Check out LADOT’s Dockless Mobility guide here for more information about dockless bikes and scooters.
Check out Metro’s crowd-sourced regional map and calendar for more Bike Month and BTWD events around the city.
Bike Month on Social Media
Don’t forget to share with your friends and followers throughout Bike Month. Use the hashtags #MayIsBikeMonth and #BikeLA throughout the month and be sure to follow @LADOTBikeProg on Twitter!